Search This Blog

Thursday, February 5, 2015

15 Ideas / Activities To Help Beat Winter Depression

The Season of cheer is over, Gone is the sunshine, the Christmas trees, twinkly lights, festive decor,& holiday spirit!! We know the feeling as soon as it hits; all you want to do is hide under a pile of blankets with some comfort food! somehow despite the short days and long nights you're more tired than ever. You may be feeling anxious or in a rut & trust me when I tell you I know how hard it is to leave the comforts of our bed, or homes, & when forced to, you feel like the Grinch meets human snowman!! I know that when you're feeling tired, anxious or depressed the last thing you feel like doing is planning an activity but it's in these moments that we need something fun, or something to look forward to the most and I PROMISE you that you'll feel better! Making Self care &your happiness a priority is SO important!! I know I can't be the only one who has a hard time thinking of something fun, uplifting, or positive PERIOD when I'm feeling that way, & coming up with a Positive activity to do seems just about impossible - So I made myself a list of a bunch of ideas that can be done for FREE or On A Budget that I could turn to in my times of need which I decided to share with you, I hope it helps!
I know that it can be hard to go from zero to 60 so I have included a mix of ideas, some that you can do from home that still get you and your mind moving and away from over-thinking or obsessing on anything negative that may be plaguing you. 
ALL of the activities appropriate for anyone of just about any age!!
Skating
One of the perks of winters in Canada is there are FREE outdoor skating rinks just about every where you turn! If you live close to Ottawa - or within driving distance it is worth heading on down to the Canal - It's pretty phenomenal that we are the home to the world's longest skating rink - We might as well take advantage of this!
Tobogganing
Another Canadian winter perk - is Snow Covered Hills!! 
Tobogganing was one of my absolute FAVOURITE Snow-Day activities as a kid, & still is to this day!
You can actually pick up those little crazy-carpet(s) from the 'Dollarama' for about $2.00 a piece. - So this is defiantly something that can be done on a budget!!
Be sure to bundle-up though, because no one likes a soakin' wet butt! 
Build A Snow Man
Whether you name it Frosty, Sam (Rudolf), or Olaf; Be sure you bundle up!!
Get Active :
In whatever way you feel comfortable!!! At home, at The Gym, Yoga, Sports, Dance. Don't over think it - Just Start! - trust me that is the hardest part!!
One of my favourite thing's to do - regardless of the time of year; is to Go for A Walk - Just get out, look around at the beautiful snow covered trees clear my mind, & reflect on the things that matter most to me!! 
Volunteer / Random Acts of Kindness :
Giving back is one of the absolute best things you can do for yourself & your community! There are so many different community services, & people who are in need of a helping hand (almost every city/town has a community center or organization of some kind that can provide you with a list of Volunteer Opportunities)! Reach out - & find out where your skills are most needed!!
Spread Random Acts Of Kindness - a positive note, a card, a smile - the smallest acts can mean so much in someone elses life - if you're finding it hard to smile - try being the reason someone else does & you will to! They are contagious like that!  
Free Community Events:
Get out within your community, there is so much to do that doesn't cost a dime! Community Parks are often transformed into winter wonderlands this time of year, with Skate Rinks, or Tobogganing Hills. Did you know most Museums have a day of the week where they offer some or all of their attractions for FREE! & if you're in Ottawa there is always Winterlude coming up this month!!!
Cook / Bake :
Take the time to slow down and prepare one of your favourite home cooked meals/treats. Set the table, use your fancy place settings, your serving dishes, whip out your paper straws, your favourite mug, whatever it is that is going to make this feel special to you. 
You'll be shocked at how much of a change these little things can make when applied daily. 
Pamper Yourself:
I have said it before & you can bet that I will say it again! I can not stress enough how important Self Care is to improving your self esteem! It is also unfortunately one of the first things we forget or neglect to do! If you ask me - a hot bath with my favourite spa products is always a winning recipe for relaxation! You better believe I am talking to you too Gentleman!! Shave your face, trim/oil your beard, paint your nails, do your make-up, Or wash your make-up off!! Below you will find Cody and I both unwinding with a Sea Source Detox Face Mask By Arbonne.
Create Something :
Get your creative juices flowing - pull out some supplies, open up some of those Pin's you've been PINNING like a wild-one on Pinterest and get cracking! You don't always have to have an idea in mind before you start just start and see what come out of it - you might just shock yourself with what you can create all on your own!
Learn a new Craft/Skill :
About a year ago I took up knitting -& then kind of set the idea & my needles aside, with full intentions to continue it & then forgot about it until I stumbled upon my knitting needles when I was cleaning out my creative space!
I am setting a goal for myself to learn at least two new knitting patterns this year!
I encourage you to learn a new craft or skill too, or to pick back up one that you never meant to stop doing in the first place!
" You're never to old to set another goal, or to dream a new dream!" - C.S.Lewis
Play Cards or a Board Game :
These are classic for a reason - They always end up being WAY more fun than you ever thought possible!! Feel Free to challenge me to a game of Uno, Monopoly,Candy Land, or Battle Ship anytime - I forewarn you though; You won't win!!
Build A Fort :
Gather up every blanket & pillow you can find & begin constructing in a Blanket or SNOW Fort!! Curl up inside with your favourite hot drink & just let the worries of the world wait at the Blanket drapped door. 
& incase you were wondering, No - We'll Never Grow Up & I truly don't recommend it!
Decorate / Organize :
I know that Christmas & New Years are over - but the spirit doesn't have to be! Keep the Celebration going!! I love to create new and switch-up my existing decorations - I love to create & to add little touches to welcome new Holidays, Seasons, Basically any chance I get because I know that being surrounded by pretty Celebratory things makes all the difference in my mood & I love the process!
Write a list of things you are grateful for / Create a Vision Board :
This is a something I strongly encourage EVERYONE to do!! 
View a more detailed overview of this idea HERE.
Read A Book :
My love of reading is certainly not something that came easily as a child - I was quite proud of my Streak of Successful book reports without every having read a mandatory book - If any of my past teachers are reading this, I know I'm busted & I couldn't be more sorry - honest! But over time I have truly come to see the value in it!! - There is nothing quite like the magic of a good book to take you away from the stresses of reality into a completely different place - & if you're anything like me that place is always 'Fictional' ( I use that term loosely because - I believe) & Magical!! 
It is so important to love yourself just like you would anyone else you Love - be sure that you are making time for yourself, and the things that make you happy!You should never feel guilty about making yourself, & your personal happiness a priority it will only benefit You, as well as those close to you & who care about you!
Dream Big   Sparkle More   Shine Bright

No comments:

Post a Comment